Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom, has maintained that he will not probe former Governor George Akume despite calls by some individuals and groups to do so.
Former Governor, Gabriel Suswam who was on Monday a guest of the Economics and Financial Crimes Commission, (EFCC) over allegations of corruption and embezzlement, had specifically appealed to Ortom that the probe of his administration be extended to Akume’s regime stating that it would give a better perspective into the challenges he faced while serving as Governor between 2007 and 2015.
The Governor has however said he did not take over from Akume hence it’ll be inappropriate for him to probe the Senator.
He also stated that the people who voted for him specifically demanded that he should probe the immediate past administration of Dr. Gabriel Suswam to know why the state had been brought to its knees so that his administration would avoid pitfalls and learn lessons.
The Governor added that the people have expressed their wish that those who diverted public funds into personal use should be held accountable and that such funds or property be recovered if possible.
Reacting to the ruling of the Makurdi High Court which ordered stay of proceedings on the panels probing the immediate past administration, the governor said it was temporarily judicial process and that the state government’s lawyers would follow due process to vacate it.
He also started that he has confidence in the judiciary, due process and the rule of law.
The Governor explained that he set up the judicial panel to avail all concerned the opportunity to defend themselves in accordance with the core values of his administration which include transparency, fairness, accountability and justice.